Tuesday 23 September 2014

Vienna: Arrival and the City!

I'm a bad, bad blogger - seems my posts have just dwindled into nothing. And this isn't for lack of trying; I've started and stopped several posts.. But nothing seems to be working - and then a good friend of mine came up with the perfect solution: a travel post!

Coincidentally, it was this good friend that I went to visit. 

I can't quite remember who had the idea to go to Vienna, or at what stage of the night it came up. In fact, I'm not even sure I remember much about that night at all. But unlike many alcohol fuelled statements; Harry, Gyan and I actually followed through on this one - and went to Vienna!


Viennese Midgetz 
The fun and games started at stupid-o-clock in the airport. After a lengthy bus journey and hot chocolate disaster I arrived at Gatwick and met up with Harry, Gyan and Gyan's fanny pack. 


Once we'd stopped taking the piss out of him, and finally boarded the plane - only briefly upsetting an Air Hostess - we settled down and discussed sensible things like: if you were a superhero, which one would you be? Before we knew it, we'd arrived! 


Vienna is one efficient city - if anyone knows how to run an airport its them. With hardly any waiting or queuing we were in and out in a matter of minutes - taking the U (basically a tube) into the city centre. Not only is it one of the most efficient places I've come across there is also a huge, permanent amusement park in the middle of the city called The Prater. The sun had come out to welcome our arrival, so we went straight to the Prater - which I absolutely loved. Not only was there a decent selection of rides; but the whole atmosphere was lovely. Unbeknownst to us, Gyan isn't a massive fan of rides... But we made him go on them anyway. 



 After an eventful day of travelling and roller-coasters, we settled down and celebrated our arrival in Vienna the only way we know how!


There's no way else to put it, Vienna is a stunning city. I could wax lyrical about the architecture and huge stone buildings. They legitimately have the fanciest H&M I have ever seen - with a marble and gold front it was certainly a lot fancier than any British high street I've come across. The buildings tower over you, and it's difficult not to feel like Thumbelina as you explore the city. And it's just so clean and spacious! 


The Hofburg





We also took a look at The Summer Palace, which is where Franz Joseph and Princess Sissi spent a lot of time. It must be an age thing, but I really enjoyed the tour of the house that we did. I turned twenty and now I suddenly like going on tours of historic houses - it's finally happened - I've turned into my mother! 




We also decided to buy some fancy cakes from Demel and take a paddle boat out onto the River Danube - which was absolutely gorgeous and a fantastic leg work out. The cakes are something else, we picked four different ones and shared them. The apple strudel was my particular favourite, although the Sachertorte was divine.  


I can absolutely see how Caroline's mother fell in love with the city, because I certainly did.. In the next post I'll talk about the fabulous company we enjoyed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment