Monday 26 May 2014

I Survived First Year: How?!

Roughly eight months ago I started my first year of University. I kissed my parents goodbye, and watched them leave me to face the real world. Alone in my room: a bare pinboard, no internet, the worlds smallest single bed and exposed brick wall - I set about making it my room. I set up the internet, put the radio on and wedged the door open. After dealing with the duvet (moderately difficult), I began artistically arranging my carefully selected photos. There were a few wobbly moments when I questioned my photo choices: did I really want my new friends to know about the time I broke my foot falling off a pavement?! But I persevered and continued to lay out my nick-nacks. All of this happened with the door open, which is exactly what Student Forum had told me to do. Apparently all my new flatmates were meant to walk past my open door, hear the music, step inside and offer to help me set up my room.

They didn't say hi. 


In fact I can't even remember the first time we all sat down and had a conversation. But together we grouped and went around our building knocking on doors. Introducing ourselves to everyone, and promptly forgetting their names after we invited them down to our flat for the first pres of freshers. First impressions were made, nicknames created and courses forgotten. I didn't realise that roughly 7 other people in my building also study English until term 2. 

The first night out was crap. The second night I pretended to be Lucy Watson's cousin. Third night we watched The Great British Bake Off. Forth night I dressed up as a baby for a cheer social. Fifth night we covered ourselves in neon paint. Sixth night was a drama social. And on the seventh night we Lemmy'd. 

Remember to eat during freshers.. 

That was pretty much the extent of my freshers. It was an alcohol fuelled haze of meeting people and quickly forgetting them. Everyone was on their best behaviour, and conversation was on that line between awkward and cautious. Personally it was quite over-rated and the real fun began in Reading Week. By then everyone knew each other, friendship groups had established and we all felt safe in the knowledge that someone would hold our hair back when if we drank too much. 

SO what are my tips to surviving freshers week?

  1. Bring condoms and use them. 
  2. Actually sign up to the doctors before you need to go there. You will get freshers flu, and wont exactly want to remember all your GPs details whilst dying.
  3. Bring a big box of chocolates/crisps and plonk them in the middle of your communal table. 
  4. Bright bedsheets are the easiest way to warm up a bedroom. 
  5. Photos are a must. 
  6. Prop your bedroom door open, but don't expect people to say 'hi' first. 
  7. Don't bring heels. 
  8. CHEESE GRATER: in a flat of six only one of use thought to bring one. 
  9. Plasters - although I have got through this entire year using my flatmates (I don't think they've noticed yet). 
And important things to remember?

  1. Everyone is just as lost, and just as confused as you are. If they don't seem worried they're either good at hiding it, or really fucking weird. 
  2. Smile. Breath. Say Hi. People will appreciate it if you make the first move. 
  3. Go to a social for a society you have no intention of joining. The cheerleading night was one of my best freshers night. 
  4. Don't worry if you've forgotten their name - they've forgotten yours too. 
  5. Its okay to miss home. Equally its okay to get to the end of week 1 and realise you haven't even thought about home once. 
  6. Suggest a night in towards the middle of the week. People will probably be needing a rest too. 
  7. Things wont go to plan. Don't freak out when they don't. 
  8. Someone broken your plate? Used your knives and forks? Welcome to communal living. Chin up. 
  9. Say yes to everything - but avoid doing stuff that might kill you. 

Ultimately, you are about to experience one to the weirdest and funniest situations of your life. Never again will you be thrown into such an alcohol fuelled, hormone riddled environment. Embrace it. You may not meet your future best friend in the first week, you might not meet them in the first term, but you will make friendships that last a lifetime. Hazy memories will become anecdotes. Come on, who doesn't remember that time Lucy forgot his name, or Bryman's obsession with the letter C  or when Ailsa shared some food with the DJ and Holly at that house party! 

Or what about the time I threw up black sick, took my tights off in the middle of Arena, went to the Sexual Health Clinic over a scratch (better safe than sorry!), the time I cracked an egg on Liam's face. The time we all tried to limbo under a construction sign. The night we got into Arena for free with no queue. Doing cartwheels up Penny Road and ending up in a bush. When Bryman discovered how to make fire. The cheesecake disaster, but the triumph of the avocado cookies and pesto pasta bake. 

There have been tears, midnight talks and spooning. But there have also been so many times I've laughed so hard I couldn't breath. And these are the memories I'll treasure:

THIS is why you study in the South 

One of many Arena toilet pictures 

Beginning of Term 2

We may, or may not have just taken a bum selfie..

First Cheesy Tuesdays 
LADz

Chums!

Halloween 
The Arena man!

Because sometimes you need a cuddle.

Edgerton Park Road beauties! 


Every girls flat needs cake

Our first roast! 

Alcohol 

Alcohol #2

Our first photo!

Realising TP is full of dead people

Freshers Ball  
Edgerton Park Road do a Miley 

I forgot this happened... 

Before the blood

THE pasta bake

Christmas Dins

Girl. Oven. Fire. 

Because I did some work too...

Thanks for everything! I can't wait to see what Year 2 brings! 

1 comment:

  1. Love love love this! Certain this will be much appreciated by all the frightened freshers next year!

    ReplyDelete